Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Angkor WHAT?

Every time I tell people I'd like to go the Cambodia someday and see the Angkor Wat, the first thing they ask is "What are you gonna do there?" And in my mind I say "Duh, I just told you!" But I try to explain better and say, "Well, like I said, I'd like to go and SEE the Angkor Wat.. that's what I'm going to do there." More critical people will dare to ask further, "Yes, but what will you really DO there?" At this point I give up pretending that I'm talking to someone with even just an ounce of historical interest. My brother summed up this general reaction with a very simple question: Angkor What??

But maybe I'm too harsh. I guess not everyone can be awed by ancient structures dating back to more than a thousand years ago. Maybe not everyone can appreciate the wonder and intricacy of bas-relief sculptures. Can you imagine how long it must have taken to sculpt (out of stone!) even one of the millions of figures and pictures scaling the outer and inner walls of the various temples? At the rate we regard sculptors, painters, photographers - artists in general - today, those people, long ago, who carved pictures on stone walls with no help from modern technology, were gods.

And then again, maybe not everyone likes the feeling of realizing that as much as we are each unique individuals, important and powerful in our own right and domain, within the sheer antiquity of these temples, we are but specks of dust in the space and time continuum. At most we live to be a hundred, if we're lucky. By that count, these temples have survived at least 10-12 generations of people being born and dying. We come and go. The temples remain.

5 comments:

  1. I'll go with you Jang....lets explore them together....and who knows, maybe I can get away pocketing a few jagged stones & storing them for later use in one of my craft brilliant moments...hahahaha....I miss you terribly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey tita! hali! uban ta.. hehe. am going in March 2009.. meet you in KL? :-) Miss you tooooooooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jang....how I wish I could......hows about meeting you in Toronto instead? hehehe....well, how about it?????

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi jack, musta? by the way, happy new year diay.... dugay na kaau ta wala nagkita.

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy new year sam! i heard from thelfards na NY na ka.. wow! i'm happy you finally got there! do keep in touch. :)

    ReplyDelete