Sunday, December 14, 2008

What Christmas Really Means

I just had to share this! I hope my friends Elson and Clara won't mind.

Elson, proud father of two sons, took this picture a couple of days ago, 12 days before Christmas at the most, but here's what I notice: no Christmas decor at this part of the house! Of course it's a very odd nook to expect to find Christmas decor at, the bamboo couch being just against the small counter that divides the kitchen and the living room but I'm just saying... :) 

No, the reason why I think this picture is really special is that it radiates pure joy! For me, this is Christmas. Who needs decor if you have happiness in the home? :)

Look at Finn's face... even in profile you see the happy wonder (and a hint of mischief) as he holds out his finger to gently poke his baby brother Diego's head... perhaps to see if he was real? I can only wonder what thoughts are running through his curious little mind! He's a little over two years old now but he's keeping a lot of his more intelligible thoughts to himself at the moment, preferring to keep his parents in suspense a little bit more and possibly waiting for the perfect moment to amaze them with complete sentences. He's probably decided to give Diego this Christmas time to be the center of everyone's attention.. :)

And my dearest friend Clara, is it a relief to finally give birth again? :-)  As much of a workaholic as you are, I must say this picture shows how motherhood seems to suit you too. :)  I'm sure it's not always as easy as it looks, but it is worth all the trouble isn't it?

As for Elson, you know the old cliche "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"? Well, your knack for sharing to the world how you see things through your pictures show how beautiful you thought this little scene was since you captured it so well! I can almost see you smiling behind the camera. More pictures to come I hope.

Anyway, here's wishing you all a very merry Christmas, and I hope we all find our own source of Christmas joy this season. :) Peace and love.

3 comments:

  1. huh! Jang reading this article makes me cry...makes me question myself of "What's the true meaning of Christmas?"... being so far away from your roots makes you less Christmassy.. miss having NOche Buena with my extended family... mangatulog man me ug Christmas ani.. except for Opening of the Gifts, Christmas here is just like any ordinary day... Anyway, nag drama na ko... Merry Christmas na lang sa imo and to the family cirle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey jov! when I was in Japan a looooooooong time ago, hehehe... I knew I was going to miss the traditional Filipino Christmas too.. so what I did? I organized a Filipino-style Christmas noche buena for my host family, complete with games and prizes for the kids... we all had a grand time. In return, Japan gave me something we normally don't experience here sa 'pinas...my wish... a white Christmas! :) So why don't you organize something for your family and some Filipino friends? I'm sure they'll be happy to come over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ja, dili ko kay start sa akong e-comment about ur article..it make cry like what juvy 2..it is so lisod if you (we) still thinking christmas sa pinas ,it more fun in there than sa where we are now..yup u can get material things what u want..but the Important thing is to give in Christmas for my the family the priceless thing LOVE, PRAY,GIVE. Will MERRY CHRISTMAS NA LANG SA INYO,s imong mama og papa, mr. and mrs. JP ,og sila mr. and mrs. james paul and kids,tootsie, si janien, si jooseph of course si JAJA..LOL,.. And healthy New Year.. miss u all

    ReplyDelete